Those sushi rolls are very easy to make and will remind you of a real sushi, even the taste.
Start by making a nut paté, that you will use in your sushi (as the rice part) and you can also use on crackers. A good base to have in the fridge, if you are working on a healthier diet. It will keep for a week in the refrigerator in an airtide container.
- Soak in water 2 cups of sunflower seed
- Soak in water 1 cup of pecan nuts (or almonds or cashew)
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
After the soaking of the seeds and nuts for at least 2-4 hours, rinse and place everything in a food processor. Use the S blade and process into a paste.
- 1/2 cup minched celery
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to your taste)
Stir by hand the celery, red onion and salt in the nut paté and it is ready
After you have your nut paté ready, it will take no time to make the susni roll. This is what you need for it:
- Nori sheet
- 1 teaspoon mellow white miso (or other kind of miso). I didn´t have it, so I used macadamia/bell-pepper paste. But anything a little on the salty side will work.
- 4-5 thin slices of red bell pepper.
- 4-5 thin slices from a scallion.
- 6 thin slices of avocado.
- 3 tablespoons of nut paté.
- Tamari (optional).
Lay a sheet of nori, shiny side down, on a bamboo mat if you have (if you don´t have it, don´t let it stop you).
Spread a teaspoon of the mellow white miso on the edge of the sheet (closest to you).
Lay the other ingredients on or next to the miso. Put the nut paté last.
To roll it up, grab the edge of the bamboo mat (edge of the nori sheet if you don´t have a bamboo mat) and roll it together. You might need to press the filling back into the roll in the beginning to get it as tidely packed as possible.
When you come to the end of the roll, dip your finger into water and run it along the other side of the nori sheet to seal the roll.
Cut the roll into 6 pieces. I use a good bread knife to cut it, but all good knifes will help you get a clean cut pieces.
You can dip it into tamari if you like or just eat as is. Two rolls per person with a salat is a perfect meal.
Other things you could fill your sushi roll with, could be:
- Cauliflower (put in a food processor, so it will look like rice)